As well as being South Africa’s most experienced travel writer, David Bristow is the author of more than 20 books on South Africa and Africa beyond. Colleagues at Getaway travel magazine – where he was editor for 14 years – dubbed him the walking enviro-pedia. “It’s unlikely there is anyone better traveled than him and his knowledge of The Cape and indeed all of South Africa is indeed encylopediac,” commented Don Pinnock who suceeded him as editor.
With degrees in journalism and environmental sciences, you could say he has a well-rounded grasp on most things that do not involve rocket science. The Story Teller has an abiding passion for all things pertaining to nature, culture, travel, history, Africa and just about anything else that is interesting.
But it is his love of life and the world around him that has led to him to be the pre-eminent story teller of the Cape – dramatic stories, racy stories, ghost or horror stories, love stories, comedies and tragedies; stories about the places and people who created the Cape. Interwoven with all this will be current issues, international trends and local anecdotes – you name it and he’ll provide the details.
One thing’s for sure – a day or two out and about with the Cape’s foremost Story Teller will be an outing with a difference/oomph. It will have you saying many days, or weeks, or even months later “Wasn’t it amazing, that story about how Table Mountain ….”
Selected books by the Story Teller:
- Mountains of Southern Africa (Struik)
- Natural History of Southern Africa (Struik)
- Drakensberg Walks (Struik)
- Soweto: Portrait of a City (Struik)
- Best Hikes in South Africa (Struik)
- Illustrated Southern African Wildlife Encyclopedia (Jonathan Ball)
- Been There, Done That: A checklist for the Curious and the Brave (New Holland)
- Riding the Spine of the Dragon –pioneering a mountain bike route across South Africa (New Holland).
- Poles Apart (Macmillan)
- Africa’s Finest: The most sustainable and responsible safari destinations in sub-Saharan Africa ( www.africasfinest.co.za )
- African Icons: 21 must-see places in Africa – hand-bound collector’s edition only
- Zulu: The Story of an African Stallion – a novel to be published in 2017.